How Do I Report Someone Claiming My Dependent?
If the IRS rejected your return because someone else claimed your dependent, you might be wondering what to do next. We can help you understand why this might have happened and how to report someone claiming your dependent.
There are a few reasons for this type of IRS issue — where it appears that someone else is claiming your dependent — including:
- You entered the dependent’s Social Security number (SSN) incorrectly.
- Another taxpayer entered an SSN incorrectly on another return.
- Another family member claimed the dependent accidentally.
To confirm that the SSN you entered for the dependent is correct:
- On the top navigation, click Federal.
- Choose Review or edit information I’ve already entered, then Next.
- In the Personal Information section, choose Dependent Information.
- Choose Edit next to the dependent’s name to check the dependent’s information.
- Update the information as needed, then Next until you reach Your Dependents screen.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each dependent.
If you fixed the SSN using the steps above, you should re-file your return. However, if the SSN was correct when originally filed, then confirm the number matches the SSN on file with the IRS and the Social Security Administration (SSA) by calling:
- IRS — 800-829-1040
- SSA — 800-772-1213
If the SSN matches what the IRS and SSA have on file, you won’t be able to re-file. You’ll need to print and mail your return and attach an explanation of the issue.
Can Someone Else Claim Your Child on Their Taxes?
If you found out someone else claimed your dependent on their taxes, your dependent might be the victim of identity theft. If this is the case, don’t panic. There are steps you can take to correct the situation, including filing a paper return and documenting your case for the IRS.
If you’re e-filing your taxes, you will be asked for your prior-year AGI. Find out from the experts at H&R Block how to get your AGI from last year.
Find out how you can connect to an H&R Block representative through online chat. Follow these steps from the team at H&R Block.
Learn how to log into your H&R Block online account and troubleshoot any login issues you might be having with these tips.