How Do I Report Someone Claiming My Dependent?

If the IRS rejected your return because someone else claimed your dependent, you might be wondering what to do next. We can help you understand why this might have happened and how to report someone claiming your dependent.

There are a few reasons for this type of IRS issue — where it appears that someone else is claiming your dependent — including:

  • You entered the dependent’s Social Security number (SSN) incorrectly.
  • Another taxpayer entered an SSN incorrectly on another return.
  • Another family member claimed the dependent accidentally.

To confirm that the SSN you entered for the dependent is correct:

  1. On the top navigation, click Federal.
  2. Choose Review or edit information I’ve already entered, then Next.
  3. In the Personal Information section, choose Dependent Information.
  4. Choose Edit next to the dependent’s name to check the dependent’s information.
  5. Update the information as needed, then Next until you reach Your Dependents screen.
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each dependent.

If you fixed the SSN using the steps above, you should re-file your return. However, if the SSN was correct when originally filed, then confirm the number matches the SSN on file with the IRS and the Social Security Administration (SSA) by calling:

  • IRS — 800-829-1040
  • SSA — 800-772-1213

If the SSN matches what the IRS and SSA have on file, you won’t be able to re-file. You’ll need to print and mail your return and attach an explanation of the issue.

Can Someone Else Claim Your Child on Their Taxes?

If you found out someone else claimed your dependent on their taxes, your dependent might be the victim of identity theft. If this is the case, don’t panic. There are steps you can take to correct the situation, including filing a paper return and documenting your case for the IRS.

Related Resources

Clearing Temporary Internet Files

Having issues navigating H&R Block’s online product? You might need to clear your temporary internet files. Learn more about clearing your internet cache.

How Do I Print My Prior-Year Tax Return?

Need to print a prior-year tax return that you completed with H&R Block? Follow these simple instructions from the H&R Block tax pros to print your return.

What Should I Do If My EIN Is Invalid?

Experiencing trouble with your state employer ID, or your EIN is invalid? Learn what you can do from the experts at H&R Block.

What Should I Do If My Return Is Rejected?

Filing your return with H&R Block’s Online program and having problems with e-file? We outline what to do if your e-file is rejected.